Protect Your Shoreline, Support a Permanent Lake Huron Coastal Preserve
We have an opportunity to permanently protect and conserve nearly a mile of Lake Huron shoreline just south of Tawas. Under permanent protection, this 145-acre property could become the Lake Huron Coastal Preserve, a public nature preserve owned in perpetuity by Alabaster Township. We must act now to protect it from development, improve public lake access and enhance local trails and recreation opportunities for Lake Huron residents, visitors and future generations.
We Need Your Help
Every dollar counts. Show your support for Lake Huron with a tax-deductible gift. Every donation is a vote of public support for this property. Please give by October 1, 2021 to help us make the case that this land must be prioritized and protected.
You can donate online or by mail to:
4241 Old US 27 South, Suite 2
Gaylord, MI 49735
Checks should be written out to Huron Pines with “Lake Huron” in the memo. Huron Pines is a tax exempt registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Guarantee Permanent Protection
Together with Alabaster Township, we must raise a total of $2.5 million dollars to fully protect and manage this important land forever. The mature hardwoods, forested wetlands and cobble beach provide ideal plant and wildlife habitat and plenty of opportunities for recreation and relaxation.
We have raised just over $1M so far, but that is not enough to cover the cost of the property or its continued maintenance. Alabaster Township is seeking funding from the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund to purchase the property to make this plan a reality. However, Trust Fund support is not guaranteed.
Your Support Will
- Conserve 145 acres and nearly a mile of Lake Huron shore
- Create a public space for people to enjoy nature for generations to come
- Provide direct and safe public access to Lake Huron
- Build new trail connections between the Alabaster Township Bike Path and Arboretum and Lake Huron
- Protect the land from future development
- Preserve essential habitat for migratory birds in one of the most important migration pathways in North America
More Ways You Can Help
- Spread the word. Follow us on social media, share our posts and use the hashtag #lakehuronforever in your own posts.
- Show your support. Leave a comment and contribute to the overwhelming public support for this project.
- Inspire others. Download this project overview to print and share or attach and email to friends, neighbors and local organizations